This instant pot, gluten-free chicken pasta is a single pasta dish recipe. For this recipe, I use dry, gluten-free, penne pasta. I put all of the ingredients in the pot first then add the pasta on top. Any type of pasta will work for this recipe. I have also tried and used gluten-free spirals, and spaghetti noodles. My family just prefers penne pasta for this dish.
Pre-Cooked, or Thawed Chicken?
In this recipe, I use pre-cooked chicken. It works the best, but thawed chicken will work too. If using pre-cooked chicken, shred or cut it into cubes first. Place all ingredients into the inner pot of the instant pot, adding the dry pasta on top. Close your lid and set it to sealing. Set the timer for 5 minutes. When finished, do a quick release to let out the pressure. Make sure to use a towel or oven mitt when doing the quick release. Once the pressure is out, open the lid and stir. It’s then ready to serve.
If using thawed chicken for this recipe, cut it up into cubes first. Saute the chicken with the garlic before adding the other ingredients. Again, place the dry pasta on top. Close your lid and set it to sealing. Set the timer for 10 minutes. When finished, do a quick release to let out the pressure. Again, make sure to use a towel or oven mitt when doing the quick release. Once the pressure is out, open the lid and stir. It’s then ready to serve.
Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
Frozen chicken does not work well in this recipe, because the pasta ends up too sticky and mushy due to the increased cooking time.
But, you can cook frozen chicken in an instant pot. If using frozen chicken breasts in a recipe, cook for 11-12 minutes for medium breasts, or 13-14 minutes for large ones. Then do a natural release for 10 minutes. You may stack the chicken in the inner pot if needed. Just make sure to season thoroughly before stacking.
Pasta in the Instant Pot
Now, if you’re new to the instant pot and just want some practice before diving into this recipe, you can start by making plain pasta in an instant pot rather than on the stove. It’s actually pretty simple. Place the dry pasta in the inner pot and cover it with water, about 1 inch above the pasta. Set the timer for 1 minute and select the pressure cook button. Once it’s finished, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release to let the rest of the pressure out. Make sure to use a towel or oven mitt when doing the quick release. The key to great-tasting pasta in the instant pot is not cooking it too long. It only takes 1-2 minutes. Cooking any longer will result in sticky and mushy pasta. The liquid is soaked up by the pasta during the cooking process, so there is no draining required. There is also no need to rinse the pasta once it’s finished.
Instant Pot, Gluten-Free, Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Garlic Press
- Cutting board
- Large knife
- Lemon Juicer
- Large Spoon for serving
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic peeled and minced
- 2 cups Chicken cut into cubes
- 2 cups Chicken Broth gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 lemon Juiced
- 1/2 cup Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Gluten-Free Penne Pasta Noodles
- If using thawed, raw chicken, cut the chicken into cubes. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil for 2 minutes in the inner pot of the instant pot.
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Mince each garlic clove using the garlic press, and add it to the hot oil.
- Add the cubed chicken pieces to the pot.
- Saute the garlic and chicken together for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Add the sugar.
- Add in the salt and pepper.
- Using the lemon juicer, add the juice of 1 lemon to the pot.
- Add the Thai Kitchen sauce.
- Add the gluten-free pasta on top.
- Close the lid and set the knob on top to seal.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes and select the pressure cook button on the instant pot.
- When finished cooking, do a quick release by moving the top button to vent.
- Remove the lid, and stir well with a large spoon.
- Serve immediately.
Leave me a comment and let me know how this recipe turned out, and which type of pasta you used.
Blessings, Laura xo