Post updated March 28, 2022, Original Post: September 1, 2020
This healthy overnight oats recipe is an easy, grab-and-go breakfast. No cooking is required.
My overnight oatmeal recipe is one of my favorite breakfast recipes. It not only tastes amazing but it can be adapted to any type of allergy. Even picky eaters will eat it.
What is overnight oatmeal? It's a way to make oats without cooking them on the stove or in the microwave. The process allows uncooked oats to soak in milk. As the oats soak they absorb the liquid and become soft. The process takes a minimum of 2-4 hours, but soaking the oats overnight is best.
- Rolled oats - For a gluten-free overnight oats recipe, use gluten-free oats. I recommend using either quick-cooking or regular rolled gluten-free oats. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Regular Rolled oats are my favorite for this recipe. Instant microwave oatmeal packets are not recommended.
- Milk - To make this recipe dairy-free, use any dairy-free milk. I use oat milk. I like its thicker consistency. I have also used probiotic smoothies instead of milk for a richer flavor.
- Yogurt (optional) - Adding yogurt will thicken the consistency. Use dairy-free yogurt for gluten-free, dairy-free overnight oats.
- Chia Seeds
- Fruit - I use frozen berries.
- Sweetener (optional)
Overnight Oatmeal Recipe Toppings and Mix-ins (optional)
- Fresh fruit
- Dried fruit
- Dairy-free yogurt
- Coconut flakes
- Nut butter
- Protein Powder
How to Make Healthy Overnight Oatmeal
- Pour the milk or yogurt into a large bowl. I like to use a 4-cup measuring cup so I can pour it into a jar easily.
- Add the oats, chia seeds, and fruit. If you’re using fruit that doesn’t store well like bananas, wait to top the oats until you’re ready to serve.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour the oat mixture into a mason jar, bowl, or other container and cover tightly.
- Place the container in the refrigerator and let it sit for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator, uncover, and top with your favorite toppings and/or sweetener.
How to Store Overnight OatmealStore your overnight oatmeal in the refrigerator in a jar with a lid, covered bowl, or another sealed container for 5 days. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- Mix all the ingredients in a 4-cup measuring cup and then pour it into the jar. It's a lot easier for transferring.
- If you are working around multiple allergies, I recommend labeling the tops of the jars. Once they are made up, they tend to look the same.
- Be aware, if you use yogurt, the consistency will be very thick. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk for thinning before serving.
For another simple, healthy breakfast try my Crunchy and Satisfying Gluten-Free Granola
Best Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 Large bowl (I use a 4-cup measuring cup.)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Large spoon or spatula
- Mason jar with a lid (Use any bowl or other container with a lid.)
- 1 cup Dairy-free milk Use any milk of your preference.
- 1/2 cup Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 cup Fruit any fruit of your preference
- Mix-ins (nuts, seeds, fresh fruit, etc.) optional
- Pour the milk into a large bowl or 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add in the oats, chia seeds, and fruit of your choice.
- Mix well.
- Pour the oat mixture into a mason jar or other container with a lid.
- Secure the lid tightly.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 2-4 hours before serving.
DID YOU MAKE THIS HEALTHY OVERNIGHT OATS RECIPE? Let me know how it turned out with a comment below! I love to hear from you.
Blessings, Laura xo