This gluten-free, dairy-free, banana bread bakes up moist and tender. The secret is very ripe bananas. Make this recipe for a leisurely weekend breakfast, or enjoy it as a snack. Anytime is a great time. It’s so easy and delicious, you’ll never guess it’s gluten-free and dairy-free.
What You Need to Make This Banana Bread Gluten and Dairy-Free
Gluten-free flour: I make my own flour blend since I have food allergies and intolerances. Check out my Simple Gluten-Free Flour Blend. There are many store-bought gluten-free flour blends available. When I first started baking gluten-free I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. I also tried King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. I recommend using either one of these.
Xanthan Gum: This ingredient is necessary for gluten-free baking. It’s what imitates gluten. It helps hold gluten-free baked goods together so they rise and take shape. Make sure to check the ingredients in your flour blend. Some contain xanthan gum and some do not. You will need to purchase Xanthan Gum and add it separately to this recipe if your blend does not include it.
Dairy-Free Milk: I use oat milk in this recipe. I tried rice milk at first, but it was not as creamy, and the batter did not mix up well. The consistency in oat milk is better. I have not tried almond milk, or cashew milk because of nut allergies.
Dairy-Free Butter: My favorite is Earth Balance Soy-Free. It acts just like regular butter in recipes. I also use Spectrum Organic Shortening as a dairy-free substitute for butter. It’s plant-based, made from palm oil, and is great for dairy-free baking as well.
How to Make This Recipe
First, pour all the dry ingredients into a large bowl, combine, and then set aside.
Next, in a separate bowl whisk the eggs, milk, and butter (browned) – see below for how to brown butter.
Now gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet and lightly whisk together just until combined. DO NOT overmix.
Mash your ripe bananas in a small bowl and fold them gently into the batter. If using, add in any mix-ins now as well.
Bake and enjoy!
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Banana Bread
- Loaf pan
- Kitchen Scale (optional)
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Small skillet or pan for browning the butter
- Cooling rack
- 8 ounces Gluten-Free Flour equivalent to 1 3/4 cups
- 1 tsp. Xanthan Gum OMIT if your flour blend contains this
- 4 ounces Sugar equivalent to 3/4 cup
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 6 ounces Dairy-Free milk equivalent to 3/4 cup
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Stick Dairy-Free butter – Browned (see notes) equivalent to 8 Tablespoons
- 3/4 cup Mashed ripe bananas approximately 3-4 medium bananas
- Cooking spray to grease pan
- Set out ingredients to bring to room temperature. (eggs, milk)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine the flour, xanthan gum (if needed), sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small skillet or pan brown the butter until it turns a light brown color and gives off a light aroma.
- Combine the milk, eggs, and butter in a large bowl. Whisk until the eggs are evenly distributed throughout.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and lightly whisk just until combined. DO NOT overmix.
- Gently fold the mashed bananas into the batter. If you're using any other mix-ins add those in now.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack before cutting and serving.
Use very ripe bananas. Ripe bananas add a decadent sweetness and rich banana flavor.
Use room temperature ingredients. Ingredients at room temperature mix together more easily.
Do not over-mix your batter. Over-mixing affects the texture of your final product. As a result, your bread may become rubbery instead of moist and tender.
How to Brown Butter for Baking
Browning butter (Beurre Noisette) is a culinary technique that enhances the taste in many sweet and savory recipes. It gives recipes a toasted nutty flavor. It is butter that is gently melted and cooked until it browns and changes in flavor and aroma. I use brown butter for this recipe to enhance the banana flavor.
Add butter to a small skillet or pan on medium-low heat.
Continuously swirl the butter in the pan allowing it to melt.
Continue to swirl until it turns a light brown color, and gives off a light aroma.
Remove from the heat immediately. It will burn quickly so watch it carefully.
I hope you enjoy this gluten-free, dairy-free banana bread! I really want to hear your comments so leave me a comment below.
Blessings, Laura xo