Do you have old, unhealthy habits?
I have to admit it. My husband and I used to eat hamburger helper a whole lot in college. You know, the box stuff that is completely unhealthy. We also ate it a lot when we were first married, and I have to admit something else. I used to make hamburger helper for my family on nights when we needed a quick and easy meal. Here’s the kicker. My daughter loves this stuff. What????
A Healthy, Allergy-Friendly Alternative
Once I realized how unhealthy all the pre-packaged, boxed foods are and we started eating healthier, I quit buying them. Over time, my daughter would actually request it for dinner. Crazy right? Well, if I remember correctly, it did taste pretty good. So, I decided to make a healthy, allergy-friendly version. It was an instant hit in my house and has become part of our dinner repertoire.
What I love most about this recipe is how simple it is to make and it’s gluten, soy, and dairy-free. To make this gluten-free I use Pacific Foods Beef Broth and gluten-free pasta noodles.
You won’t mind making this version whenever you get a request.
Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Dairy-Free, Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Large skillet with a lid
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion or 2-3 dashes onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Non-dairy milk I use rice milk or oat milk
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-free beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-free spiral pasta noodles
- 1 cup shredded non-dairy cheese
- Brown the ground beef and onion. Drain any fat.
- Stir in all the liquids (tomato paste, non-dairy milk, beef broth, and Thai Kitchen sauce)
- Add in all the spices and stir.
- Add in the gluten-free noodles and stir.
- Bring all ingredients to a gentle boil over medium heat.
- Cover with lid and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and vent the lid.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the non-dairy cheese.
Leave me a comment and let me know if you like this recipe.
Blessings, Laura xo